Recently, we published a series of articles highlighting the importance of updating the front end of your website. But what a lot of people forget is that it is really important to keep the backend systems up-to-date too – they are the power behind the website after all!
What's the fuss all about?
There are many important reasons to go ahead with an upgrade, here are a few we think you may be interested in:
Easier for Future Upgrades
Most systems that require upgrades usually have a script that allows upgrades from the previous 1 or 2 versions. However, if you get too behind on versions, it is more complex to jump versions because the programming is so different. If you don’t keep up with upgrades, a future upgrade could be incredibly costly or maybe even impossible.
With most updates the CMS system will get new functionality and features that you may not have known were possible. For example, a recent WordPress version included an update to the language settings which now makes it simpler to select your language post-installation or during the installation process within the dashboard.
The best way to think of it is that you wouldn’t have your laptop running without antivirus software so why would you take the risk on your website? An upgrade helps protect against hackers and crashers by fixing bugs and security patches.
What is included in the update?
We work with our clients to help them keep their websites up to date, this often incudes a CMS upgrade. If your CMS is overdue an upgrade, here's an indication of what our upgrade package includes:
- Core backup – improvements to the way that we backup your website files and database. After the update, it will be possible to save the entire server as a snapshot.
- Increased Security – security patches to help protect your site from the latest viruses and the risk of being hacked.
- Operation Updates – core code improvements to boost the speed and performance of your website. 40% of customers will leave a web page if it takes longer than 3 seconds to load!
What happens if I don’t have an update?
- Your website will remain at risk, and we will not be able to host or offer further support if you require it.
- Your website could go down due to hackers or malware.
- Your website rankings will continue to decrease, which could result in lost business and an awful lot of work to rank well again.
To discuss a CMS upgrade in more detail, simply call us on 02380227117, contact your account manager, or get in touch here.